Saint James Episcopal Church

860 North Section Street

Fairhope, Alabama

Click on the Pipes to go to the Church Organ


Hook and Hastings, Opus 1656 (1895)

GREAT ORGAN

16'	Bourdon
8'	Open Diapason
8'	Melodia
8'	Dulciana
4'	Octave
3'	Twelfth
2'	Fifteenth

 

SWELL ORGAN

8'	Stopped Diapason
8'	Viola
4'	Flute Harmonic
4'	Violina - See Note Below
8'	Bassoon
8'	Oboe

PEDAL ORGAN

16'	Bourdon
8'	Open Diapason

Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Tremolo

NOTE: the Swell stop marked Violina 4' actually plays a 2' Flute.  The original Violina pipes 
are in storage at the church and could be replaced in the organ.  The 2' Flute was added for 
versatility.

The Chapel Organ was built in 1896 (Note: according to the Hook and Hastings Opus List, it is Opus 1656 built in 1895) By Hook and Hastings of Boston, Mass. and installed in the Chapel of the Convent of the Visitation in Mobile. After a period of disuse, it was purchased by St. James Parish in 1957; dismantled, rebuilt and re-errected in Saint James' Church by R. Ronald Norwood, local technician. This organ is a tracker (mechanical) action of the romantic type having 14 ranks.

In 1977, the Vestry authorized additions to the organ in the interest of providing brilliance and this was accomplished by four ranks of electric action pipes including a large scale trumpet. In 1978, a proposal was made to the Vestry to install an antiphonal organ of five ranks to be located in the rear of the Church in the loft over the narthex with one rank of 8 ft. diapason pipes on the high wall facing the nave. The remaining ranks to be located in a chamber in the loft with shutters to control volume. These additions were connected to the original organ by means of electric switches attached to the back of the Swell trackers. At this time the original ranks remained on tracker action. The stop action was converted to electric action.

The organ was moved to the new St. James Church and then upon the arrival of the Schlicker, it was moved to the Chapel. The added ranks were removed and sold to another church in the area and ultimately ended up in the house organ of a member of the Pensacola Chapter, AGO. It is hoped that the stop action can be reversed to the original mechanical action in the near future.